Talk:Welcome to the Sannyas Wiki
let's use this page just for general wiki chit chat...
just upgraded the wiki (again)
- the side bar headers are now collapsible
- the search, which is case sensitive, now shows page titles as you type.
Is there a way to get a specific list of books that are on or before a certain year date? So for instance, if I wanted a list of all the English language books (with links to their individual pages) before 1980 or 1970 is there a way to do that? Swamisitar (talk) 08:41, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
Very frustrated, I search on beyond and beyond, with no results turning up. I change it to Beyond and Beyond (note the capitalization) it finds the book. The search engine tool is too narrow, making it very difficult to find things if you misspell something or dont capitalize something. Is this something you could please fix? Swamisitar (talk) 03:10, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
Indeed, this is a great inconvenience, which makes it extremely difficult to work with Wiki. Maybe there is a way to improve the search without taking into account the capitalization?
I can only suggest using a third-party search engine (for example, G**gle) and add to the request: "site:http://www.sannyas.wiki". In this case, your reuest will only search on Wiki. You can also search the book you need by name in. --DhyanAntar 06:04, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
this is not quite correct. if you just type "beyond" (caps or not) you get a list of all pages which start with the word "beyond".
so, this quick list is only looking at an alpha-sorted list. once you press enter, you will get a complete listing of all books with "beyond" in its title.
but you will have to consult google for complex search strings like "Year of publication : 1960..1982" "English Publications" site:sannyas.wiki
Thanks for the update, I likely had pasted beyond and beyond in the window, or typed it too quickly. Got frustrated when no results came up. Just goes to show patience always pays off in the end. However, if I type beyond and beyond, it still doesn't seem to be able to connect it with Beyond and Beyond, that strikes me as odd that just not capitalizing a letter would cause the search tool to be able to find something. Thanks for taking the time to help me, much appreciated. Cheers. Swamisitar (talk) 15:32, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
- I would want the size of the image to be very big, 100% of the page width. Or say 90% of the width of the browser window. I don't know how to do that. The table above already sizes neatly with the width of the window.
What I like especially about the picture being bigger is being able to see that the chair is empty.
- I would like the picture to be more detailed/sharper, and the edges fading to white (the color of the page).
- yes, would be nice, but i have never seen a higher res of this on the net.
- note that fades usually look very 80ies old fashioned.
- Before the link to Help pages, there could be a less-technical page, saying what we would like to hear, what concrete missing material there is (names, pictures, book-covers, celebration music), etc.
- Visual Guide to the Wiki
Maybe this could be made using the techniques used in Category:Newspapers and Magazines.
- making that could take weeks/months. i suggest putting up the new home page without mentioning it for now.
- About the "New in this wiki" column, i wouldn't limit it width-wise, as it looks too narrow. //su: changed.//
- Also just one link for all mentioned things, question that. If so, or in any case, then an "And so much more" added, as those specific items may not attract interest. //su: changed.//
- About the "blog", will it be open to comments? //su: I would say: not comments, but just edit the 'story' to make it better.//
- Editable in the usual wiki way? //su: yes.//
- Who might input? //su: all editors.//
- Special blogging software? //su: see the example: not needed. (And I changed "Blog" to "What's New?", as that seems nicer as the page-header. //
- the wiki IS a blog by design, BUT it is closed to editors and that restriction MUST stay in place or you will invite a flood of idiots. //ru//
- And in the "search" column, perhaps add a suggestion to Browse, using the very well organized category tree in the sidebar, for those who haven't particular searches in mind. //su: added your suggestion.//
- Links provided for "more" in any of the columns could initially go not to new pages but expanded descriptions below the pic. //su: done that.//
I experimented some more with the page, this is the best I can do.
Remaining question: how big do we make the White robe picture? Now it is 1500px, which looks nice the way I use it on my screen. But people may have smaller screens. What is an average screen these days? --Sugit (talk) 08:30, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
anyway, let's just ride with it now we have a decent photo. thank you Nutan --Rudra 06:32, 12 April 2018 (UTC)