Dogen The Zen Master ~ 08
|event type||discourse & meditation|
|date & time||1 Aug 1988 pm|
|location||Gautam the Buddha Auditorium, Pune|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 30min. Quality: good.|
Osho leading meditation from 1:13:37.
Live music after the discourse.
|video||Available, duration 1h 34min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutra: Ma Prem Maneesha. Questions are being read by Osho himself.
After discourse Osho leads No-Mind Meditation.
- The sutra
- Dogen said:
- When Hsuan-sha became enlightened he said to other monks, "The whole universe is a brilliant jewel of the Buddha-mind...."
- Dogen continued: This brilliant jewel is originally nameless, but provisionally we gave it such a name. This jewel is eternally unchangeable. Really, our body and mind, grass and trees here and there, or mountains and rivers between heaven and earth -- all this is nothing but a brilliant jewel....
- It is boundless from beginning to end. After all, the whole universe is one brilliant jewel, not two or three. The whole jewel is the Buddha's eye, truth itself, one phrase of truth, the light of enlightenment. At this time it never hinders the whole one, and it is round and rolls about. The function of this brilliant jewel is so clear that the sentient beings are saved by present-day Avalokitesvara or Maitreya, just by seeing their look or hearing their voice; and also the buddhas, ancient and modern, expound the dharma with their body.
- A sutra says that someone was lying drunk, when his great friend sewed a jewel in his robe, secretly. We must never fail to give this jewel to our intimate friend.
- We are never drunk without being given such a jewel. Such a brilliant jewel is identical with the whole universe.
- Therefore, a brilliant jewel is a brilliant jewel itself whether it rolls or not. Our realization that such is a jewel is also a jewel itself; so audible and visible is it. Therefore, it is no use wondering if we are a brilliant jewel. Whether we doubt or discern it, it is only a small, provisional viewpoint. To say more precisely: A brilliant jewel only pretends a small viewpoint.
- We cannot help setting a great value on this jewel -- so brilliant is the color and light of it. Who could snatch it? Who could cast it away in a market, regarding it as a tile?
- We must not worry about whether we transmigrate in the six realms of existence on the law of causality. A brilliant jewel never sets aside the law of causality from beginning to end. This is the face of a brilliant jewel.
- Question 1
- Our Beloved Master, our most brilliant and precious jewel,
- Whenever I have asked about your beauty, you have insisted that it is the eyes of love that project beauty on you. But you do not have our experience of sitting in front of you, following -- as we do -- your every movement, tracing every beloved curve and line and valley in your face.
- I know of no one else -- however much I love them -- that I could gaze on for years, never feeling bored, never feeling I have fathomed their beauty.
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series|