Letter written on ?? Jul 1957
From 1957 to 1968, Osho wrote many letters to Babulal Ji Deriya, of Babai (MP), India. The wiki has images of thirteen, believed for now to be all of them. Most are written on postcards. See Deriya Ji's page or Osho's manuscript letters for links to all these letters.
For the Post Office, Osho used his full name as above. In addressing him personally, he wrote "Poojya Deriya Ji" or "Shraddheya Deriya Ji" (venerable, honoured), only later using the more familiar "Priya Deriya Ji" (dear, beloved), but all following his sometime custom of addressing male friends by their last names. See also Lashkariji, Punglia Ji, etc.
This letter is undated and sent from Sagar, where Osho had gone for his graduate studies. He wrote it on the letterhead of one of his most-loved professors there, SK Saksena. An English translation was published in Sw Ageh Bharti's book Beloved Osho, and likely the Hindi original version was published previously in one of Ageh's Hindi books. It is said also to be in line to be published eventually in a larger edition of Prem Ke Swar (प्रेम के स्वर) (as letter #57), though this development appears not to be fast-tracked.
An approximate date (~5~15 Jul 1957) has been estimated from the text in the letter: Osho asks if Deriya Ji has received a letter he wrote from Gadarwara, saying he has just come from there. He is referring almost certainly to the Letter written on 5 Jul 1957, wherein he had talked about wanting to get together with Deriya Ji and going next to Sagar.
This letter has a lot of detail about trying to arrange a job, especially a possible professorship with the help of Deriya Ji and Seth Bhagwandas, among others. The translation from Ageh's book is reproduced on Deriya Ji's page.
रजनीश के प्रणाम.
- "Venerable Deriya Ji,
- "I hope that you might have received my letter written from Gadarwara. Only after that I have come to Sagar.
- I can get the scholarship of Rs.100/- monthly but I wish that I can be of some help to my home – hence my intention is to do research privately while doing a job. In this regard yesterday only, I have talked to Seth Bhagwandas Ji.
- This year in the province (state) no vacancy is created for a professor of philosophy; I did sent the applications for some places outside the province – but I don’t want to go outside the province – hence if some arrangement can be made at Basoda College (some 100 km from Sagar), then you may do it. I have talked to Seth Ji in this context only. He has advised that I go with you to Basoda and meet Shree Ramlal Ji and others; then some arrangement would surely be done.
- I can become able (effective) to serve the society and Sant Tara Sahiba by staying at Basoda. And slowly-slowly that college can also be made a center of philosophy, learning and contemplation. I had not thought of that college at all; Seth Dalchand Ji only reminded me!
- After a day or two I would go home and from there itself would come to Babai. And if required, you have to come along to Basoda and make some arrangement. I will reach to your place by 30th and rest we will talk on meeting. Rest OK. After arriving here I had flu; now I am well. To all: Rajneesh Ke Pranam."
- See also
- Letters to Deriya Ji ~ 02 - The event of this letter.