Ma Tzu The Empty Mirror ~ 05
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|event type||discourse & meditation|
|date & time||20 Sep 1988 pm|
|location||Gautam the Buddha Auditorium, Pune|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 28min. Quality: good.|
Osho leading meditation from 1:09:22.
Live music after the discourse.
|video||Available, duration 1h 38min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutras: Ma Prem Maneesha. Questions are being read by Osho himself.
After discourse Osho leads No-Mind Meditation.
- The sutras
- Ma Tzu had three outstanding disciples who enjoyed a special intimacy with him. They were Nan-chuan, Chih-tsang, and Hui-hai (otherwise known as hyakujo).
- One evening, as the three disciples were attending on their master, enjoying the moon together, he asked them what they thought would be the best way of spending such a night.
- Chih-tsang was the first to answer. He said, "A good time to make offerings."
- Hui-hai said, "A good time to cultivate one's spiritual life."
- Nan-chuan made no answer, but shook his sleeves and went away.
- Ma Tzu turned to Chih-tsang and said, "The sutras will join the Tsang."
- (He was making a pun on Chih-tsang's name, Tsang, which in Chinese means 'Basket', as in carrying the word of Buddha.)
- He turned toward Hui-hai and said: "Dhyana will return to the sea."
- (Ma tzu was making a second pun, since, in Chinese, Hai means 'sea'.)
- Then Ma Tzu concluded, "Nan-chuan alone transcends the realm of all things, all by himself."
- On another occasion a monk asked Ma Tzu, "What is the Buddha?"
- Ma Tzu answered, "Mind is the Buddha."
- The monk then asked, "What is the way?"
- "No-mind is the way," answered Ma Tzu.
- The monk then asked, "Are the Buddha and the way somewhat different?"
- Ma Tzu replied, "The Buddha is like stretching out the hand, the way is like clenching the fist."
- Question 1
- Our Beloved Master, who of us here would not like to "enjoy a special intimacy" with our master, to have a special place in his heart?
- What is it to be truly intimate with you?
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|