Sufis The People of Path Vol 1 ~ 13
|date & time||23 Aug 1977 am|
|location||Buddha Hall, Poona|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 46min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutra: Sw Ananda Teertha.
- The sutra
- Hasan of Basra relates:
- 'I had convinced myself that I was a man of humility and less than humble in my thoughts and conduct to others.
- Then one day I was standing on the bank of the river when I saw a man sitting there. Beside him was a woman and before them was a wine-flask.
- I thought, "If only I could reform this man and make him like I am instead of the degenerate creature which he is."'
- 'At that moment I saw a boat in the river beginning to sink. The other man at once threw himself into the water where seven people were struggling, and brought six of them safely to the bank.
- Then the man came up to me and said, "Hasan, if you are a better man than me, in the name of God save that other man, the last remaining one."
- I found that I could not even save one man, and he was drowned.
- Now this man said to me, "This woman here is my mother. This wine-flask has only water in it. This is how you judge, and this is what you are like."
- I threw myself at his feet and cried out, "As you have saved six out of these seven in peril, save me from drowning in pride disguised as merit!"
- The stranger said, "I pray that God may fulfil your aim."'
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|