The Great Zen Master Ta Hui ~ 12
|date & time||20 Jul 1987 pm|
|location||Chuang Tzu Auditorium, Pune|
|audio||Available, duration 2h 24min. Quality: good, but last 53 min poor with constant noise.|
Live music before and after the discourse.
|video||Available, duration 2h 26min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutras: Ma Prem Maneesha.
- The sutra
- Speaking of "empty illusion," it is illusion when created, and illusion when experienced too; it's illusion when you're knowing and aware, and illusion when you're lost in delusion too. Past, present, and future are all illusions. Today, if we realize our wrong, we take an illusory medicine to cure an equally illusory disease. When the disease is cured, the medicine is removed, and we are the same person as before. If you think that there is someone else or some special doctrine, then this is the view of a misguided outsider.
- In the instant of Maitreya's finger-snap, Sudhana was even able to forget the meditative states fostered in him by all his teachers: How much more so the beginningless habit energy of empty falsehood and evil deeds! If you consider the mistakes which you committed in the past as real, then the world right in front of you now is all real, and even official position, wealth and status, gratitude and love, are all real.
- If your mind does not run off searching, or think falsely, or get involved with objects, then this very burning house of passion is itself the place to escape the three worlds. Didn't Buddha say, "Not depending on, or abiding in, any situation, not having any discrimination, one clearly sees the vast establishment of reality and realizes that all worlds and all things are equal and nondual."
- Though a bodhisattva of the "far-going" stage appears to act the same as outsiders, he does not abandon the Buddhist teachings; though he appears to go along with all that is worldly, he's perpetually practicing all world-transcending ways. These are the real expedient devices within the burning house of passion...
- Only having penetrated all the way through can you say that affliction is itself enlightenment and ignorance is identical to great wisdom. Within the wondrous mind of the original vast quiescence -- pure, clear, perfect illumination -- there is not a single thing that can cause obstruction. It is like the emptiness of space...
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|