The Transmission of the Lamp ~ 19
|date & time||4 Jun 1986 pm|
|location||Punta Del Este, Montevideo, Uruguay|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 27min. Quality: good.|
|video||Available, duration 1h 30min. Quality: good, but a slight constant audio-noise.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the questions: Ma Prem Maneesha.
- Question 1
- Beloved Osho, a very revealing incident occurred recently. In the wake of the so-called "giant step for mankind," when the first astronaut set foot on the moon, the Americans have continued their space exploration, now with the reusable shuttle.
- Suddenly, a little while ago, this 2.3-billion-dollar spacecraft blew up in the sky, killing all seven passengers.
- It created an enormous reaction in the U.S. -- sorrow, anger, hurt national pride, etc. It turned out that behind the tragedy lay the usual human forces: egotism, prejudice, dishonesty, competition, arrogance, fear, ambition, and so on.
- An official investigation concentrated on "flawed management procedures," and "reorganizing the chain of command," but nowhere felt it relevant to investigate egotism, prejudice, dishonesty, and all the rest.
- Isn't the real "giant step for mankind" yet to come -- the realization that it is man himself who lies at the root of his own catastrophe?
- Question 2
- Beloved Osho, you were speaking last night about Gurdjieff's work, and the individual's chief characteristic. How does one find out what one's chief characteristic is?
- Question 3
- Beloved Osho, many times I find myself with tears of gratitude flooding my heart, and when I start to whisper thanks, or something like that, inevitably I become dumb, not knowing if I bow to you, beloved friend, or this whole existence, which gives us the blessing of having you among us. I read somewhere that the Buddha said, "If you meet me on the way, kill me." Is this right, even though I will always be honored to bow to you, and whenever possible, to sit at your feet?
- Question 4
- Beloved Osho, is it a cosmic joke that most of us are born with awareness and die in unconsciousness?
- Question 5
- Beloved Osho, sitting here every day with you, hearing what you say, listening to how you say it, we go up and down so much. You are continuously pulling our big toe, here and there, trying to put us right, and we go too far, and fall back into the ditch, again and again.
- Today, I was watching, not what you said, but what you do, and a big laugh came out of me. I imagine that millions of times you must have thought, "My God, they have missed again."
- Beloved master, please don't give up on us. Little by little we are getting this big joke.
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|