The Transmission of the Lamp ~ 34
|date & time||12 Jun 1986 am|
|location||Punta Del Este, Montevideo, Uruguay|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 27min. Quality: good.|
|video||Available, duration 1h 28min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the questions: Ma Prem Maneesha.
- Question 1
- Beloved Osho, the other night when you were talking about the decadence and suicidal tendency of Western society, peaking now in the USA, I was wondering why the Western lifestyle is capable of penetrating other cultures and spoiling them in a short time.
- It amazes me again and again how easily aboriginal tribes on all the continents, with, but mostly without force, drop their millennia-old civilization and culture and start imitating the Western way of life -- often in quite ridiculous ways.
- About fifteen years ago, a famous photographer produced two wonderful photo albums depicting two remote tribes in the Sudan, called the Nuba. These physically and psychically very beautiful people, created over thousands of years -- besides amazing skills and arts -- a social structure full of love and respect for each other. Incidents of major violence were unknown. One incident has been reported in one of these books as a typical example of how these people treat each other.
- Clay pots to them were as precious as the finest Chinese porcelain is to us -- those pots carried supplies of drinking water in that baking-hot climate. One of the workers dropped a pot by mistake and it broke. Nobody jumped angrily upon the poor guy; rather, they consoled the unlucky one and worked on. To me, this is highly-developed, cultured behavior -- missing in our rat-race society.
- Some years later these people came for the first time in contact with the Western lifestyle. Within two years, the whole social structure had collapsed, decayed. They now rate a transistor radio, a torn t-shirt, and an army cap more highly than their old values. Only photographs show what has been lost forever.
- Osho, what drives people so easily into the arms of Western civilization, thus destroying their unique heritage?
- Question 2
- Beloved Osho, I love the way you demonstrate at every turn just how absolutely untouchable you are. The Americans imprison you, torture you, destroy your commune and clearly assume that you will be humiliated by their treatment of you; but instead, that untouchability shines through, and it is they who are left humiliated -- this is so clear from all their continuing anger at you.
- You are an impossible enemy! You are that simple truth -- that only without ambition is one free to embrace the stars.
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|