Zen The Diamond Thunderbolt ~ 04
|event type||discourse & meditation|
|date & time||15 Jul 1988 pm|
|location||Gautam the Buddha Auditorium, Pune|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 15min. Quality: good.|
Osho leading meditation from 1:01:00.
Live music after the discourse.
|video||Available, duration 1h 17min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutras: Ma Prem Maneesha. Questions are being read by Osho himself.
After discourse Osho leads No-Mind Meditation.
- The sutras
- Once, a monk asked Joshu, "What is the body without illness?"
- Joshu said, "The body made of the four elements and five skandhas."
- On another occasion, Ummon asked a monk, "What are you?"
- He replied, "I'm the head of the infirmary."
- "You don't mean to say so!" said Ummon. "Is there anybody not ill?"
- "I don't understand," replied the monk.
- "Why can't you understand?" asked Ummon.
- The monk was silent, and then Ummon said "Ask me the same question."
- So the monk asked Ummon, "Who is the man without any illness?"
- Ummon pointed to the next monk.
- Once there was a monk ill in the infirmary who asked to see Tozan. When Tozan went there the monk said to him, "Why don't you save ordinary people?"
- Tozan asked him, "Who is your family?"
- The monk replied, "A great Icchantika family."
- Tozan remained silent for some time. Then the monk said, "What shall we do when the four mountains come pressing round us?"
- Tozan said, "I myself came from under the roof of a family."
- The monk said, "Is there relativity or no relativity?"
- Tozan answered, "None."
- The monk asked, "Where will you let me go?"
- "To a rice field," answered Tozan.
- The monk heaved a sigh and said, "Goodbye," and died sitting there.
- Tozan tapped him on the head three times with his staff and said, "Like this, you knew how to die, but not how to live."
- When Sozan was about to die, he made a verse:
- My road is beyond the blue sky;
- The clouds never make any commotion.
- In this world there is a tree without any roots;
- Its yellow leaves send back the wind.
- After saying this, he passed away.
- Question 1
- Beloved Osho, we make life a struggle and death a struggle. Is not graciousness simply the ability to live while alive, and die when dying?
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|