Zen The Path of Paradox Vol 1 ~ 09
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|date & time||19 Jun 1977 am|
|location||Buddha Hall, Poona|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 36min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutra: Sw Ananda Teertha.
- The sutra
- A monk came to a master for help on working on one of the classic questions in Zen dialectic: 'What is the meaning of Bodhidharma's coming from the West?'
- The master suggested that before proceeding with the problem the monk should make him a low salaam.
- As he was dutifully prostrating himself the master gave him a good swift kick.
- The unexpected kick resolved the murk irresolution in which the monk had been foundering on for some time. When he felt the master's foot he attained immediate enlightenment. Subsequently he said to everyone he met, 'Since I received that kick from Matzu, I haven't been able to stop laughing.'
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|