KKGW News Footage - Rajneesh (1984)
- This is raw footage of KGW, an Oregon TV station from the period of the Ranch.
- It has been collected and published on YouTube by the Oregon Historical Society. For how this came about, see Preserving Tapes of Rajneeshpuram for Oregon Experience Documentary.
- Info about this video:
- YouTube code: QWJYL77cXiA
- YouTube title: Rajneesh - News Footage (KKGW, 1984)
- Youtube information:
- Oregon Historical Society
- Published on Apr 10, 2018
- Guardian Angels, including Curtis Sliwa, "trick or treat" during Halloween at the Rajneesh Hotel in downtown Portland. The Associated Press reports the Guardian Angels were eventually arrested for trespassing: www.nytimes.com.(transcript see below)
- MI# 05847. Transferred from original 3/4" U-matic tape by AV Geeks, Oregon Historical Society KGW News Collection. Intended primarily for educational purposes.
- Information in the video:
- Duration: 18:19
- OshoFilmArchive catalog no : OFA00,045
GUARDIAN ANGELS HELD IN PROTEST PORTLAND
- GUARDIAN ANGELS HELD IN PROTEST PORTLAND, Ore., Nov. 3 (AP) - Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels, was arrested today with five fellow demonstrators protesting the treatment of some homeless people by Rajneeshpuram, a city-commune led by a guru.
- Nov. 4, 1984 - The New York Times
- The six protesters, all members of the crime-fighting group, were arrested on trespassing charges after they handcuffed themselves to the entrance of the Hotel Rajneesh here and refused to leave despite warnings from the hotel manager and the police.
- Followers of the guru, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, denounced the incident as aimed at bolstering the Guardian Angels' membership.
- Mr. Sliwa assailed as "callous and indifferent" the commune's dismissal of several hundred homeless people from Rajneeshpuram. He said they were sent away without bus fare to return to their cities of origin. Of the hundreds who have left, many were given return bus fare, but others were not.
- Ma Prem Arup, a follower of the guru, said the demonstrators were trying to capitalize on local sentiment against the sect.
- "Somebody standing on my doorstep telling me I'm a killer - I'm human enough that I get offended," Ma Prem Arup said. "Especially when I know that we are the most caring people in the world, and our master teaches respect for human life."
- A version of this article appears in print on Nov. 4, 1984, Section 1, Page 44 of the National edition with the headline: GUARDIAN ANGELS HELD IN PROTEST PORTLAND, Ore., Nov. 3 (AP) - Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels, was arrested today with five fellow demonstrators protesting the treatment of some homeless people by Rajneeshpuram, a city-commune led by a guru.