Sw Shivam Sanjiva
(aka Sanjiva Kyosan)
Sanjiva was born in Québec in the late 50s, and began studying flute, piano and guitar at the age of six. His musical journey went to a new level when the opportunity arose in high school to play on a pipe organ. This opened up vast possibilities of sonic experience, as did coming into contact with Indian music. He saw and felt how harmonics, modalities and tonalities could have a rich effect on the mind, mood and silence, understanding experientially how music and meditation were closely related. He learned to create spaces with music and silence.
His research into sounds deepened by imbibing the Bardo Thodol, Gurdjieff and Ouspensky, giving him a language and framework to formulate a broader understanding of the mathematical structures of music and the objective effect of sounds on the nervous system.
Sanjiva came to Osho in 1982 and in 1986 moved to Poona, living there for 10 years. He played music in Darshan and meditations and was often the "sound man" at the mixer. (See Nivedano's remarks on his work.) Additionally, he worked with various therapists to create music supporting the therapeutic process.
In 1989, at Osho's request, he composed The Secret of the Golden Flower, the sound track to a Taoist meditation based on Osho's discourses in The Secret of Secrets.
In 1991, his lifelong studies of sound were mature to a point where he began a two-year period of concentrated composing, resulting in 160 works, each resonating with a specific aspect of the human experience.
Starting in 1996, he released 6 albums of electronica, on the Berlin label Ninetysix Sounds.
Since 2002, he is in retreat, mainly focusing on meditation and meditation music, in particular deepening a study of the Kyotaku, a long shakuhachi used in meditation.
- Sanjiva Music
- 1978 : Chaque marche se replie (15 min MC, soundtrack & performance at a night of poetry at the Collège Édouard-Montpetit, Longueuil, Quebec, Canada)
- 1979 : Le cristal en poussière (10 min MC, soundtrack & performance at a night of poetry at the Collège Édouard-Montpetit, Longueuil, Quebec, Canada)
- 1983 : Albio (MC, soundtrack, Experimental Theatre Festival of Eskabel Festival de Théâtre expérimental, Montréal, Quebec, Canada)
- 1987 : Chuang Tzu’s Dream
- 1988 : Open Window
- 1988 : Past Lives (90 min MC, OIF, Poona)
- 1989 : Gemini in the Air (30 min MC, Poona)
- 1989 : Just Around the Corner
- 1989 : Moldovite (45 min MC, Poona)
- 1989 : The Astrolab Project (6 x 60 min MC set, OIA, Poona)
- 1989 : The Clouds Have Heard Me (60 min MC, collaboration, OIF, Poona)
- 1989 / 1991 / 1996 : The Secret of the Golden Flower
- 1990 : Heart Journey (30 min MC, tour recording, Europe)
- 1990 : No Cloud Beyond the Golden Sky (45 min MC, Poona)
- 1990 / 1992 : Chakra Sounds (120 min MC, Collaboration, TAO Music, Germany)
- 1990 : Empty Sky (45 min MC, Poona)
- 1991 : Between Yourself (30 min MC, tour recording, Europe)
- 1991 : Dance With the Dragon (4 x 90 min MC set, OIF, Poona)
- 1991 : Over the Top (24 x 90 min MC set, OIF, Poona)
- 1992 : Memphremagog (30 min MC, Sita Comm., Germany)
- 1992 : States of Mind (5 x 30 min MC set, Sita Comm., Germany)
- 1992 : Taras of the Blue Moon (4 x 90 min MC set, OIF, Poona)
- 1992 : The Gap - Death is Dead (4 x 90 min MC set, OIF, Poona)
- 1993 / 1998 : Tales from the Land of Osho
- 1993 : Beyond Body & Mind
- 1993 : River of Life
- 1994 : Center of the Cyclone (Sufi music, Poona)
- 1994 : Reiki Wave (MC, Poona)
- 1994 : Organic Synchronization (10 MC set, Neuroze, Montreal)
- 1995 / 2013 : The Journey
- 1996 / 2013 : Essence
- 1996 / 2013 : Origin
- 1997 / 2013 : Initiation
- 1997 : Slumberland (Episode One)
- 1997 : Les chevaliers de l'apocalypse (Knights of the Apocalypse, Les Productions Vent d'Est, Radio Canada)
- 1997 : An Introduction to Amiata's New Age of Art, Volume 1
- 1998 : Fragments
- 1998 : Magic Mushrooms
- 1998 : A Tribute to Klaus Schulze
- 1998 / 2013 : Who is in ?
- 1998 / 2013 : Radiance
- 1998 : Chillout Area ⌗1
- 1999 / 2013 : Human Anonymous
- 2000 : Slumberland (Episode Two : Awake & Dreaming)
- 2001 / 2013 : Transparent
- 2001 / 2013 : Meditation
- 2001 / 2013 : Atmospheres (8 albums set)
- 2001 / 2013 : The Sun and the Moon
- 2003 / 2013 : Aqua
- 2005 / 2013 : Neti Neti
- 2007-2009 / 2013 : Mystica Organicum
- 2012 : Mix And Shake