The Empty Boat ~ 01
|date & time||10 Jul 1974 am|
|location||Lao Tzu balcony, Poona|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 54min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutras: Sw Ananda Teertha.
- The sutra
- He who rules men, lives in confusion;
- He who is ruled by men lives in sorrow.
- Tao therefore desired
- Neither to influence others
- Nor be influenced by them.
- The way to get clear of confusion and free of sorrow
- Is to live with Tao in the land of the void.
- If a man is crossing a river
- And an empty boat collides with his own skiff,
- Even though he be a bad-tempered man
- He will not become very angry.
- But if he sees a man in the boat,
- He will shout to him to steer clear.
- And if the shout is not heard he will shout
- Again and yet again, and begin cursing --
- And all because there is somebody in that boat.
- Yet if the boat were empty,
- He would not be shouting,
- And he would not be angry.
- If you can empty your own boat
- Crossing the river of the world,
- No one will oppose you,
- No one will seek to harm you.
- The straight tree is the first to be cut down,
- The spring of clear water is the first to be drained dry.
- If you wish to improve your wisdom
- And shame the ignorant,
- To cultivate your character and outshine others,
- A light will shine around you
- As if you had swallowed the sun and the moon --
- And you will not avoid calamity.
- A wise man has said:
- "He who is content with himself
- Has done worthless work.
- Achievement is the beginning of failure,
- Fame is the beginning of disgrace."
- Who can free himself of achievement and fame
- Then descend and be lost
- Amid the masses of men?
- He will flow like Tao, unseen,
- He will go about like life itself
- With no name and no home.
- Simple is he, without distinction.
- To all appearances he is a fool.
- His steps leave no trace. He has no power.
- He achieves nothing, he has no reputation.
- Since he judges no one,
- No one judges him.
- Such is the perfect man --
- His boat is empty.
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|Next in series ►|