Zen The Special Transmission ~ 07
|date & time||7 Jul 1980 am|
|location||Buddha Hall, Pune|
|audio||Available, duration 1h 55min. Quality: good.|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- Reader of the sutra: Sw Ananda Teertha.
- The sutra
- One day an angel, flying back to heaven, saw below him a luxuriant forest enveloped in a great, glowing halo of light. Having traveled through the sky many many times before, he naturally had seen numerous lakes, mountains and forests, but had never paid much attention to them. Today, however, he noticed something different -- a forest surrounded by a radiant aura, from which beams of light radiated to every part of the firmament. He reasoned to himself, "Ah, there must be an enlightened being in this wood! I shall go down and see who it is."
- Upon landing, the angel saw a bodhisattva sitting quietly under a tree absorbed in deep meditation. He thought to himself "Now let me find out what meditation he is practicing". And he opened his heavenly eyes to see on what object or idea this yogi had focused his mind.
- Angels can usually read the mind of yogis. But in this case, much to his surprise, the angel could not find anything at all. He circled and circled the yogi. And finally went into samadhi himself but still could not find anything in the bodhisattva's mind.
- Finally the angel transformed himself into a human being, circumambulated the bodhisattva three times, prostrated himself, and said:
- "I make obeisance to the auspicious one; I pay my homage to you, o lord of all sentient beings! Please awake, come out of samadhi, and tell me upon what you were meditating. After exhausting all my miraculous powers, I still have failed to find out what was in your mind."
- The bodhisattva smiled. Again the angel cried, "I make obeisance to you, I pay homage to you! On what are you meditating?" The bodhisattva merely continued to smile and remained silent.
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|