The Last Testament (Vol 3) ~ 09
|date & time||30 Sep 1985 pm|
|location||Sanai Grove, Rajneeshpuram|
|audio||Available, duration 0h 18min. Quality: good.|
|video||Available, duration 0h 18min. Quality: good, but a slight constant audio-noise. (See notes)|
|online text||find the PDF of this discourse|
- A unique recording, in the sense that Osho is recorded on video in Rajneeshpuram before an audience of sannyasins, but answering questions on a audio-connection. Interviewers are Ted Knoppel/Charles Gibson, live on Nightline, ABC-TV. In the same broadcast also Attorney General David Frohnmayer is being interviewed. Most of Frohnmayer has been left out of the CD-ROM transcript.
- In the video, after 15:33 "Good night Charlie", Osho namastes to leave, but is called back by Charlie Gibson and the conversation continues (off-broadcast) for 2 minutes. Audio recordings omit this part.
- In the film Osho's Arrest (1985), the video is shown, but there is extra footage of Osho walking from his car to the auditorium and later back, discussing with Ma Prem Hasya and Ma Yoga Vivek.
- Interview. Announcements: unknown (beginning of recording is missing).
- CD-ROM on this chapter: Interview with Ted Knoppel/Charles Gibson, Nightline, ABC-TV. This is Live TV coverage including An interview with Oregon Attorney General David Frohnmeyer in Portland.
- Question 1
- Can the Bhagwan hear me? Are we coming through to the Bhagwan? This is Charlie Gibson in Washington.
- Question 2
- Bhagwan, is it true that you have not yet held this news conference?
- Question 3
- Bhagwan, at your news conference you are going to tell your followers that you are no longer their guru but just their friend. Why are you doing this?
- Question 4
- Why are you not their guru, then?
- Question 5
- Didn't you realize during that period of time that they were following you in a religious sense?
- Question 6
- What kind of a relationship did you have with her, Sheela, for those three and a half years?
- Question 7
- And she didn't tell you what was going?
- Question 8
- There was a case in court brought against you and your followers for improperly mixing church and state. So you must have known... that your group was claiming church status.
- Question 9
- What does this announcement today do to your group for the future. What difference will it make?
- Question 10
- Will this take away the tax-exempt status or your organization?
- Question 11
- As I understand it, it will cost you your tax-exempt status....
- Question 12
- You claim Sheela left with a lot of money. How much money did she take from you?
- Question 13
- There are some people who think you are still cooperating with her and may go to Europe with her. Is that true?
- Question 14
- You're going to stay in Oregon come what....
- (Note that questions 15-19 are missing on the CD-ROM, where Gibson interviews Frohnmeyer, head of the investigation in Rajneeshpuram.)
- Question 20
- Bhagwan, your assistant, Sheela, has charged that there is widespread drug use in your Rajneeshpuram, and that many of your followers are in effect drugged most of the time. Is that correct?
- Question 21
- There is no use of this drug ecstasy at your commune?
- Question 22
- Is it used at all?
- Question 23
- She has charged also the illegal use and procurement of weapons.
- Question 24
- Isn't a leader to a large degree responsible for the actions of his followers?
- Question 25
- Those people are followers of yours, they are there because of you.
- Question 26
- Well, they have contributed money that has wound up with you having ninety Rolls Royces.
- Question 27
- But it certainly would indicate that you were considered by them to be their leader. Doesn't the leader at some point have to take responsibility for what his.... I think you've called them disciples, have you not?
- (Note that questions 28 and 29 are missing on the CD-ROM: Gibson asks Frohnmeyer.)
- Question 30
- Bhagwan, will your announcement today change in any way what relationship you had with your group a year ago?
- Question 31
- Bhagwan, your actions today did have something to do with that church-state case that was brought by the....
- Question 32 to Mr. Frohnmeyer
- Mr. Frohnmeyer, your response to that?
- Question 33
- Bhagwan, are you saying...?
- Question 34
- But did you have that case in mind when you decided...?
- Question 35
- I'm still somewhat uncertain as to why he's done what he's doing tonight, but I most appreciate his being with us and I think this was interesting. Thank you.
- Question 36
- I suppose this will be pursued in the courts and I hope we have a chance to do this again as this....
- Question 37
- Would you be interested in coming on and... and talking to Sheela at some point?
|◄ Previous event||Next event ►|
|◄ Previous in series||Next in series ►|